Home sweet home
Here’s where I’ve been for the past week. Pretty nice digs, right? This is the Polynesian Resort at Walt Disney World. We all loved it and we had an amazing trip. The flight was perfect, the resort was wonderful, and we all loved the parks. I hope you bare with me for a few days while I collect my thoughts and try out a recipe or two that we enjoyed while we were there. I’ll try not to be that person who makes you watch their vacation slides, but I can’t make any promises.
Things I’ll miss from our trip:
- Housekeeping. I wish I could have brought home the woman who took care of our room. It was so nice to have someone cleaning the bathroom every day and giving us fresh towels, making our beds, keeping things neat…. and it wasn’t me! She even arranged Claudia’s stuffed animals on the beds every day. She was awesome.
- Buffet breakfasts. Oh, how those folks know how to pull off a breakfast spread. And the soft-cooked scrambled eggs? I could eat them by the plateful. (I think I may have once or twice, actually.) Gorgeous fresh fruits, pastries, meats, potatoes, egg dishes. You name it and we ate it somewhere.
- Pineapple Floats and Pineapple Dole Whips. Jim and I are so smitten with these frozen treats. They are utterly divine. One of the recipes I’m definitely going to try to make at home.
- The enormous belly laughs and smiles we got out of the kids on those rides. Big, big fun.
Things I won’t miss about our trip:
- The heat and humidity!! (Ingrid, how do you do it every day??) The temperature felt like 111-115 all but one day because of the humidity level. It was crazy. Talk about bad hair days. After the first couple days, I gave up and just pulled the front back. Needless to say, there won’t be very flattering pictures of me in the scrapbook. (Yes, Diana, there will be a scrapbook. I’m already planning it out in my head and will probably be making an ACMoore run later today!)
- The crowds. Oy, a lot of people vacation there. Not that I didn’t know that already, but geesh. Mostly, everyone was polite to one another, but Disney really likes to cram you into those queues like you’re a herd of cattle. When everyone around you is dripping sweat and boiling hot, that doesn’t make for a comfortable experience. Nor a very aromatic one!
- The extraordinary lack of recycling!!! I am so annoyed and disappointed by the waste that happens in the parks. There should be a recycling container next to every single garbage can, but instead you have to search for them. There is just no excuse for WDW to not be greener, at least in that very small way. We used our refillable water bottles, but we still found ourselves getting plastic bottles of Powerade or water or juice throughout the day. We’d just carry them around until we found the right recepticle, but we were probably not the norm. It was really pitiful. (I was impressed that the Animal Kingdom used a lot of paper straws instead of plastic ones though. I don’t know why that isn’t happening in the other parks too. They’re a great idea.)
So stick around for some good recipes we found while I’ll try to get back into the swing of things around here. It’s a lot harder than I thought! I need a vacation from my vacation…